Re: [opensuse] kernel versions
Don, please trim your replies.

On 2018-08-16 11:23 p.m., don fisher wrote:
anges at
https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=Linux-4.18-Released
and see if any affect you.

I tried the 4.18.0-1.g6e2c3e0-default kernel and it failed.

Well that's unhelpful.
HOW did it fail?
Did it fail to load? Did it fail to start some service or application?
Did it fail to let you use some port?

Is this a 32-bit machine you are trying with a 64-bit kernel?

But the
4.4.140-62-default, part of the 42.3 distribution, runs perfectly.

And what constitutes 'perfectly'?
Do all your ports work perfectly?

I wanted to
start there and install later kernels until I see the failure and isolate the
problem that I am experiencing. As I mentioned, there are some things I do not
understand about this laptop's hardware. And with a 13" screen it is hard for
me
to see details in a dump.

There are plenty of ways to dig into the hardware starting with the simple "ls*'
family:
lsb-release lscpu lsipc lsmod lspci lsusb
lsdev lslocks lsns lsattr lsblk lsinitrd
lslogins lsof lsscsi

Using the kernel boot options 'splash=verbose showopts' -- and yes this all
documented -- some specific like this
https://doc.opensuse.org/documentation/leap/startup/html/book.opensuse.startup/cha.trouble.html
and some more comprehensive:
https://doc.opensuse.org/
/...../Documentation/kernel-parameters.txt
will let you see what is going on as you boot. If this goes by too fast, then
you should turn to, of course, the logs, and/or make use of the 'dmesg' command.
I would also advise enabling journald for the last 500M of permanent store.
Again this is documented, start with the man page.

As for you 13" screen: I resume you have a TTY or video port?
You can plug in another screen and have the boot messages appear there; it's
just a kernel boot time command line parameter.
I think it is "console=" but I've never had to use it.
perhaps others here can advise.
Press 'e' to be able to edit the GRUB and add it.
https://doc.opensuse.org/documentation/leap/startup/html/book.opensuse.startup/cha.boot_parameters.html