Re: [opensuse] kernel versions
On 17/08/18 11:51, Anton Aylward wrote:
On 2018-08-16 9:04 p.m., don fisher wrote:
I have received some hardware and wanted to try the same experiment. But when I
go to the above site the kernel offered is
kernel-default-devel-4.18.0-5.1.g280ac93.x86_64.rpm, not the 4.17.12 suggested
above. I looked and did not see how to get to a list offering previous kernels
including 4.17.12. Any ideas?
Well Don't Do That!

This going directly to the repositories is wrong headed.
They are not supposed to be used like that.

You are supposed to add (not by editing manually,
but by using 'zypper addrepo')the repository to your collection
in /etc/zypper/repos.d/
They are then managed by zypper or Yast.

This back to making sure that things are managed via the RPM database so the
system knows what state it is in.
STOP SCREWING AROUND WITH THAT.

Please stop doing things like this.
Set up your repositories properly using zypper or Yast and download the
latest/updates using zypper or Yast.

(I'm biased; I like to see what's going on, have control over it in a way that
GUIs won't let you, and zypper lets me do that. In the limiting case I can
zypper with a couple of 'verbose', point it at different .repo files and more.
(More than just controlling the horizontal and the vertical :-) )

As for the choice, I use
http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/Kernel:/stable/standard/
and I'm running
# uname -r
4.18.0-1.g6e2c3e0-default
on
# cat /etc/os-release
NAME="openSUSE Leap"
VERSION="42.3"
ID=opensuse
ID_LIKE="suse"
VERSION_ID="42.3"

If you are running '15' then you may not have 4.18 yet.

If you have 'http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/Kernel:/stable/standard/' as one of your repositories then it matters not which version of openSUSE you are using :-).

The latest kernel is 4.18.0-5 with which I updated my Leap 15.0 and TW earlier today :-).

BC

--
There comes a time in the affairs of a man when he has to take
the bull by the tail and face the situation.