Re: [opensuse] Fax vulnerability
On 08/16/2018 12:08 PM, Anton Aylward wrote:
ROTFLMAO!
Fax is about as secure as a land line.

My GP won't notify me about results, appointments or anything by e-mail, they
consider email to be 'insecure'.
But I can go to the basement of their building, thee parking ports, and look
at
the wring and clip a recorder on there. FAX is not secure.

I get the same thing.  In fact, I had the same discussion with my doctor
recently.  People who have little knowledge of telecom and IT have no
idea how insecure it is.  I have worked in telecom and other areas of IT
for decades.  I know how easy it is to tap onto a phone line (I was
doing that as a teenager) and I can also spoof phone numbers (it's
common practice for businesses to display the main number on call
displays), if I get my hands on the equipment.  There are lots of fax
modems kicking around that could easily be modified to intercept faxes.
Also, many years ago, shortly after I got my first fax modem, I faxed
myself a document that had nothing but my signature on it.  I did that
so I could cut 'n paste my signature on documents where they wanted a
signature.  There was nothing to stop me from doing the same with
someone else's signature.