Re: [opensuse] kernel versions
On 08/04/2018 11:05 PM, David C. Rankin wrote:
On 08/04/2018 10:43 PM, don fisher wrote:

It's not dangerous at all. openSuSE has long had the KOTD (kernel of the
day) repository and the stable repository that offer the latest kernels. You
can simply add the repo to your yast repositories and install and test the
kernel, e.g.

https://download.opensuse.org/repositories/Kernel:/stable/standard

You can check your /etc/zypp/zypp.conf and make sure you have multiversion
for the kernel enabled (I believe it is by default). That way when you install
the new kernel from stable -- you will still have your current kernel
installed on your machine. If things go south, just select the old kernel at
the boot screen by selecting (I forget what the link is called, it is
something like "Advanced Options" that is listed either below, or when you
expand the highlighted boot entry at the boot screen). The 8sec countdown
timer will stop when you do, so you can take your time and pick through the
available kernels to boot.

Just confirm in /etc/zypp/zypp.conf you have:

multiversion = provides:multiversion(kernel)

and

multiversion.kernels = latest,latest-1,running

which keeps the running kernel, the kernel with the highest version, and the
kernel with the next highest version by my read of the comments (though it is
unclear if 'running' and 'latest' apply to the same kernel, the setting is
evaluated by /sbin/purge-kernels, not libzypp)

Either way, you will still have your current and stable installed -- which
you can boot to your old kernel in case of emergency and just delete the new
stable one if it doesn't work out.

I checked and stable is 4.17.12 -- so if your hardware is supported by the
latest kernel -- you will be in luck. Good luck.

I have received some hardware and wanted to try the same experiment. But when I go to the above site the kernel offered is kernel-default-devel-4.18.0-5.1.g280ac93.x86_64.rpm, not the 4.17.12 suggested above. I looked and did not see how to get to a list offering previous kernels including 4.17.12. Any ideas?

Also, I noticed while searching through directories, that directories are offered in two forms:
stable/
stable:/
How does one interpret the difference between directory names with and without the colon?

Don