Re: [opensuse] Firefox: is this a possible security problem?
Patrick Shanahan composed on 2018-08-15 20:27 (UTC-0400):

* David C. Rankin [08-15-18 19:23]:

I don't mind the package telling me that an update is available, but I do not
way any software thinking it has the right to touch my system until I tell it
to do so.

don't use mozilla's repos. simple solution.

Too simple for any who cannot be content with a single installed version of one
of its apps. For the rest, there are simple enough ways to avoid what David and
others abhor:

1-user.js: an optional preferences preset file that 'zilla apps never write to,
and incorporate into prefs.js at every startup

2-for those who can't manage #1, download the app, disconnect the network,
install the app, change the default pref to ask first or never install, then
reconnect network

3-alternative to #2, make the directory tree containing the 'zilla app readonly

4-block mozilla.org repos via hosts file

Felix Miata *** http://fm.no-ip.com/