Re: [opensuse] Firefox: is this a possible security problem?
Basil Chupin composed on 2018-08-15 19:23 (UTC+1000):

#2 - Firefox v62.0b1x, which I download directly from Mozilla.
What occurred today is something which I did not expect on a Linux
system: Firefox *UPGRADED* *ITSELF* to version 62.0b17.
Is this ability in Firefox, and Thunderbird, acceptable behaviour or am
I being paranoid?

It is a default behavior you can turn off via the last page of preferences if
you do not like it. Packages provided by Linux distro package management systems
turn it off, because they work with dependencies that must be kept in version
sync. Mozilla.org builds are static, not dependent in the same way, so like
Windows & Mac versions they can be automatically updated without affecting the
operating system on which installed.

Felix Miata *** http://fm.no-ip.com/