Re: [opensuse] how to add a group?
13.08.2018 00:05, Patrick Shanahan пишет:
* Dave Howorth <dave@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> [08-12-18 16:48]:
On Sun, 12 Aug 2018 21:29:28 +0200
Aaron Digulla <digulla@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

Am 06.08.2018 um 22:21 schrieb Dave Howorth:
I need to create a new group - 'plugdev' - and make my user a
member of the group (it's apparently necessary for android dev
tools).

On Unix systems, adding a user to a group doesn't change existing
processes. That's why id(1) doesn't show the new group right away.

To solve this, you need to log out or you need to start a new login
shell, for example by using "ssh localhost". Login shells create a new
user instance and attach it to itself and all children.

Actually, just starting a new shell using su user (not su - user)
was sufficient, so it doesn't need to be a login shell.

but "su <suer>" starts a "log in shell".

No, it does not. Just do "echo $LOGNAME" after "su <other-user>".