Re: [opensuse] kernel versions
On 2018-08-11 4:20 p.m., don fisher wrote:
I once asked on this list for documentation describing the system
architecture and did not receive any relevant responses.

because (a) it's an INCREDIBLY open-ended question and almost every facet of it
is out there on the 'net of you google for it and follow links.
You have about a year or more worth of reading.
Did you expect a reply in less than 100 million word?

that's the sort of thing that you have to look out for yourself because any
answer you might get is based on how the person replying decides to interpret
your request. For example, there is a LINUX Standard File System Structure
which openSUSE adheres to and build on but what gets to be part of the "builds
on" depends on version and what packages you install.

And a LOT of the answer gets back to the basics of Linux and the heritage from
UNIX and What is GNU? and Who Is Henry Spenser?

RPM originally stood for Red Hat Package Manager.

"Yes, it used to be, but we changed all that".

I started under Red Hat

MISTAKE!
You need to have Read Lewis Carrol and Alfred Korzybski.
The Name of a Thing is not The Thing.
Oh, wait, that was Gerry Weinberg. "The Secrets of Consulting"

and did not realize RPM was critical to
opensuse. I would gladly have used the rpm --erase if I had known it was
relevant. It is certainly easier than deleting all of the files in /boot
and repairing the links.

Part of the answer to your question about architecture is ...
RTFM

As Patrick pointed out, there is the RPM man page..
And there is also the Zypper man page.

I would NEVER use 'rpm --erase'; I would use 'zypper rm' instead to make sure
all the dependencies were enforced.

Patience, Grasshopper.