Re: [opensuse] kernel versions
On 08/11/2018 03:20 PM, don fisher wrote:
I have ordered a new  PCIe NVMe - M.2 Internal SSD to build a new system on.
No std hard drives in this system. The SSD is not due to arrive for a week or
so. I would be anxious to try the walk thru you suggest at that time.
I am not against the RPM database concept. I just did not realize it was used
to keep track of installed versions etc. I once asked on this list for
documentation describing the system architecture and did not receive any
relevant responses. RPM originally stood for Red Hat Package Manager. I
started under Red Hat and did not realize RPM was critical to opensuse. I
would gladly have used the rpm --erase if I had known it was relevant. It is
certainly easier than deleting all of the files  in /boot and repairing the
links.

Thanks, and please have patience.

Don

If there is any confusion YUM is "Yellowdog Update Manager" which is used on
many distribution beyond Yellowdog Linux....

All Linux distribution (with a few tiny exceptions) use a package manager to
keep the all files installed on the system under a management system that
provides dependency checking, version tracking, and conflict protection across
all files installed on a system. When you willy-nilly add or remove files from
your system without using the package manager, you destroy the ability for the
package manager to validate the set of files installed on your system will
actually run as intended.

Once you get to the point where the package manager can no longer do it's
job, the solution is simply to *reformat* and *reinstall*. A basic reformat
and reinstall takes no longer than a regular install. You could install,
break, reinstall a dozen times a day if you were really ambitious.

If there is any questions in your mind about what RPM does or how to use it,
go read

Learn Linux, 101: RPM and YUM package management
http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/library/l-lpic1-102-5/

An Introduction to Package Management
http://ftp.rpm.org/max-rpm/ch-intro-to-rpm.html

YaST Software Management