Re: [opensuse] kernel versions
* don fisher <hdf3@xxxxxxxxxxx> [08-11-18 16:23]:
On 08/10/2018 11:40 PM, Basil Chupin wrote:
You haven't responded to my earlier post suggesting to you to start
afresh: format your HD and install whatever version of openSUSE you have
-- I think you are able to install 42.3. Do that and then after you have
this running we can go then walk you thru on how to install the latest,
new, kernel. OK?

[ sig deleted ]

I have ordered a new PCIe NVMe - M.2 Internal SSD to build a new system on.
No std hard drives in this system. The SSD is not due to arrive for a week
or so. I would be anxious to try the walk thru you suggest at that time.
I am not against the RPM database concept. I just did not realize it was
used to keep track of installed versions etc. I once asked on this list for
documentation describing the system architecture and did not receive any
relevant responses.

my goodness. there is opensuse.com and google and ....

RPM originally stood for Red Hat Package Manager.

man rpm
RPM(8) System Manager's
Manual RPM(8)

NAME
rpm - RPM Package Manager

I started under Red Hat and did not realize RPM was critical to
opensuse. I would gladly have used the rpm --erase if I had known it
was relevant.

how would one determine that?

It is certainly easier than deleting all of the files in boot and
/repairing the links.

much safer for your system too

Thanks, and please have patience.

much needed.