Re: [opensuse] kernel versions
On 2018-08-09 03:57, don fisher wrote:
* don fisher <> [08-08-18 19:52]:
* don fisher <> [08-05-18 21:16]:
On 08/04/2018 11:05 PM, David C. Rankin wrote:
On 08/04/2018 10:43 PM, don fisher wrote:

But I still find them listed in Yast2 as candidates for installation.  I
would also like to know how to clean up the Yast2 candidates list.

I don't use yast for installing/updateing.  I use zypper from the command
line.  if I told you something about yast installing and/or updateing, it
would probably not be correct.  I find zypper so much more comprehensive
and better suited, and easy to operate.

I also feel your level of expertise is perhaps not up to the task you face
and maybe you should question before acting as in "removed all if these
kernel upgrades".  after many years of linux, os2, cp\m, dos and others, I
frequently need to research actions or ask questions before performing the
act.  and I frequently find that things I remember have changed or I
really did not understand.  man pages are a great reference although
frequently cryptic and difficult to comprehend.  or old age makes
memories
incorrect.

I have tried to perform research on the desired actions, and I have
asked many questions on this list. Also, the way I have removed the
unwanted kernel upgrades was to grep on my entire system for any files
containing the version number of the undesired installed kernel. Then I
deleted all of these files and reran grub2-mkconfig. This part all
appears to work, except for the appearance of the deleted kernels in the
Yast2 GUI candidates window.

Well, obviously, that's not the way to delete system files. You did not
delete the packages that installed them

Suppose you find you want to delete
"/path/to/something/I/want/to/delete". Well, instead of:

rm /path/to/something/I/want/to/delete

you have to do:

rpm -qf /path/to/something/I/want/to/delete

which will tell you what rpm installed that file, and then, if you still
want to delete it, you do:

rpm --erase nameof_package_you_found

I downloaded these kernels from the page:

 https://software.opensuse.org/package/kernel-default,

under the "Opensuse 42.3", "show community packages". It shows "1 click
install" for the suggested kernels. This method of installing desired
software has been suggested many times on this list. What is different
here?

An alternate is to right click on the download package link to obtain
the download path, and then use the paste buffer to paste that path as
new repository for yast-zypper - but you have to edit the result,
removing the package name and perhaps one or two directories from it.

I am trying to learn more, but have found that sometimes experimentation
is all that works. I have read the entire zipper man page, but still do
not understand how all the parts fit together. The last time I was
required to build kernels they were first downloaded from kernel.org,
configured and then compiled. I have been trying to learn how to do
things the Opensuse way.

--
Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.