Re: [opensuse] Change in T'Bird reply format
On 08/08/2018 05:50 PM, Anton Aylward wrote:
As you can see, I've corrected the problem.
What I did was roll back T'Bird from version 60 to version 52.9
Information for package MozillaThunderbird:
Repository : openSUSE-Leap-42.3-Update
Name : MozillaThunderbird
Version : 52.9.0-68.1
Arch : x86_64
Vendor : openSUSE

I'd rate this as a bug.
Which buginfo does that go into?

The bugs Felix listed look promising, but I hope you have better luck with
Mozilla actually addressing a formatting issue than I have. Glad you got your
old format back, now

$ sudo zypper al MozillaThunderbird

(and check the listing after zypper up to determine if you want the update,
then temporarily remove the lock)

Wolfgang has done a great job keeping the FF 52esr packages updated in mozilla
repo -- hopefully we can do the same with Tbird until things settle down with
these "formatting" issues. I wouldn't be surprised if it was a Gtk+2/Gtk+3
transition issue -- I doubt anyone went in and just changed a format setting
(could have, but seems unlikely).

I won't get on my soapbox, but when you turn programming into "what gtkbuilder
can read from a list, instead of what the programmer actually designed the
interface to do -- surprises happen quite frequently, only now the programmer
has lost the ability to directly fix it because there is another layer of
abstraction between what the programmer thinks he is doing and what the
code-generation actually does... and you can't just look at the toolkit API
for the specific adjustment, instead you have to find somebody that wrote the
gtkbuilder interface to figure out how to tweak it -- because much of the low
level documentation will only come after the dust settles...

It's like trying to set the plasma systray clock font-size to 8 (or 7 or 9 or
whatever you actually want it to be instead of what some undocumented desktop
scaling algorithm decides it will be without asking you first :)

--
David C. Rankin, J.D.,P.E.