Re: [opensuse] how to add a group?
On Mon, 6 Aug 2018 16:43:19 -0400
David T-G <davidtg-robot@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Dave, et al --

...and then Dave Howorth said...
%
% I need to create a new group - 'plugdev' - and make my user a
member of % the group (it's apparently necessary for android dev
tools). ...
%
% $ id
% uid=1000(dhoworth) gid=100(users) groups=100(users),16(dialout)
% Ah, if I su to myself then
%
% $ groups
% users dialout plugdev
%
% Gah! I must be missing something basic.

Basic, yes, but not necessarily well known. I'll be that you ran

su - ..

Not sure exactly what you meant there but I did su, not su -

to become yourself so that you effected a login shell, which is what
you need to read your groupship. You can either log out and log in
again or just ssh to your machine in that window and you'll then have
the plugdev group in that shell.

But I just tried su - and I just tried ssh and neither affected the
outcome. groups tells me I am a member, adb tells me I am not.

I'm not intending to log out, unless somebody convinces me it really is
necessary for some obscure linux reason. :)

HTH & HAND

:-D