[opensuse] how to add a group?
I need to create a new group - 'plugdev' - and make my user a member of
the group (it's apparently necessary for android dev tools).

My first try was to go into YaST, make the new group and add myself to
it. That appeared to work. But when I tested, it appears it hadn't:

$ id
uid=1000(dhoworth) gid=100(users) groups=100(users),16(dialout)

So I started a new terminal window, in case that was necessary. Same
output. So I went back into YaST and it shows I am a member of plugdev.
But I still get the same output from the id command in a terminal. I
looked in /etc/group and I'm listed as a member there. Here's another
log from the terminal:

dhoworth@acer-suse:~$ groups
users dialout
dhoworth@acer-suse:~$ groups dhoworth
dhoworth : users dialout plugdev
dhoworth@acer-suse:~$ whoami
dhoworth

What on earth is going on?

Ah, if I su to myself then

$ groups
users dialout plugdev

but still

$ ./adb -a devices
List of devices attached
74e3e048 no permissions (user dhoworth is not in the plugdev
group); see [http://developer.android.com/tools/device.html]
74e3e048 no permissions (user dhoworth is not in the plugdev
group); see [http://developer.android.com/tools/device.html]

Gah! I must be missing something basic.