Re: [opensuse] Local rpm storage/cache
  • From: "Carlos E. R." <robin.listas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 5 Aug 2018 23:18:51 +0200 (CEST)

On 2018-08-05 17:36, Klaus Vink Slott wrote:
Hi
Up to recently
I had a unofficial mirror for base and update repositories. A simple
cron job every night used wget to sync my local repository. By
configuring my vm's to use this local repository I avoided downloading
the same file again for each vm
Now I am looking to replace my local mirror with something more
flexible, so suggestions, best practice, pointers to examples is
welcome. I not sure, but think that I'v seen a article on some Opensuse
site, describing a solution based on nfs mounting the download directory
on all hosts.

Yes, that is what I do, but your system is better.

If you want to use it, I'll explain how it goes. The advantage is that
it only stores what is used, and older versions of packages that were
used before.

Thanks. If you dont mind, I would like to keep that offer open, while I
investigate using squid.

Currently I see 3 possibilities:
* continue to host a local mirror of selected repositories
This works well, but has to store whole repositories.

Yes and it also requires some monitoring to insure that the dl did not
fail, that the mirror you are using is current, ect. It also uses at
huge amount of disk, to host a lot of rpm that I'll probably never use.
But hey, disk is cheap.

Right.

* configure some kind of nfs sharing between all hosts
This works half well. Problem is that it is easy to delete the copy by
accident.

I see. I'm also a bit worried what will happen if 2 computers decides to
download the same file simultaneously.

Oh, yes. So far I managed to not try.

* add squid to my firewall
squid is not easy to setup, but once done it should be automatic, and
only store those files actually used.

I have just tried to add squid as a transparent http proxy to my
firewall (I use pfsense), actually it went quite smooth. But I have not
verified that it works as planned yet. Luckily all repositories seems to
be accessible using http. If/When that change, it will require some more
work.

The problem is that the download place at opensuse actually redirects to mirrors all over the world, thus a cache will be confused. It is possible that a second machine gets a different mirror, and thus downloads again the package.

Some distributions have a system to create local caches automatically.
We don't.

Yes at my work we use Redhat Satellite. I can be configured to
host/maintain foreign repositories, but that is way overkill for my home
use (and I guess not free/opensource either)

I don't remember the name of the package or service, but I understood it was open. Debian perhaps?

- -- Cheers,
Carlos E. R.