Re: [opensuse] kernel versions
* Rodney Baker <rodney.baker@xxxxxxxxxxxx> [08-05-18 09:55]:
On Sunday, 5 August 2018 22:45:40 ACST Knurpht-openSUSE wrote:
[...]

How dangerous is it to download on of the kernels from the Opensuse
search site. Kernel.org says the latest stable release is 4.17.12. Under
search/42.3/community packages, there are a few offerings shown at this
revision level. How bad is it to install one of these kernels?

Don

Yes, you can install a newer kernel. From the Kernel repo. But .... that
will mean you have to manually install the NVIDIA blob, and that you have
to install the kernel development packages, i.e. NVIDIA, the hard way. To
be able to test the 4.17 kernel, you can download a TW live iso, create a
USB stick from it, boot it and see if the NICs work.

Whilst that is true, there is nothing difficult about installing the NVIDIA
proprietary drivers manually - you just need to do it before the X server
starts, so boot into single user mode, run the installer and reboot once
completed.

it is even easier than that. the reboot after installing the nv driver in
single user mode is not necessary, just "systemctl isolate graphical" and
you will be given the graphical logon screen requesting your password (or
not).

Gertjan is correct - you need the kernel dev packages because the
installer builds the modules from source.

If you set up dkms (not officially supported on openSuSE, afaik), you can
avoid needing to manually reinstall the kernel drivers each kernel update,
but
KDE/X11 updates often overwrite other necessary files, breaking some
functionality (corrected by re-installing the driver after such updates).

I have simply gotten into the habit of reinstalling the driver each time I do
a Tumbleweed "zypper dup", although sometimes it isn't necessary.

I also add the nvidia modules to initrd using dracut, so they're loaded early
and I can get nice, hi-res text consoles (vty0-7) as well.

BTW, I've just updated to 4.17.12 and, so far, no problems on my machine.

tw here, kernel-default-4.17.11-1.3.x86_64