Re: [opensuse] kernel versions
On 04/08/18 11:43 PM, don fisher wrote:

How dangerous is it to download on of the kernels from the Opensuse search
site.
Kernel.org says the latest stable release is 4.17.12. Under
search/42.3/community packages, there are a few offerings shown at this
revision
level. How bad is it to install one of these kernels?

I've been using the kernel-stable repository for a couple of years now and
update at last a couple of times a month. There is always the log of changes
that you can check. many changes are to drivers that I don't use, but the
hassle of checking to see and only downloading ONLY the ones that "affect me" is
too much. Simpler to just accept them. Many of the changes are tunings and
minor patches to scheduling to networking parameters and scheduling.

If you use bleeding edge hardware then bleeding edge kernels may address your
problems. I don't, but the only thing that bothers me is that some of the stuff
stacked in my basement needing minor repairs (things like new PSU, new CPU) are
32-bit machines.