Re: [opensuse] kernel versions
On 08/04/2018 10:43 PM, don fisher wrote:
I have read discussions concerning the wisdom of Opensuse not running current
kernels. But I recently purchased an Alienware 13 3 that is near EOL, so it is
not real bleeding edge technology. Neither the wireless nor Ethernet are
supported, and now I find the the graphics chipset is not supported either. I
was able to use a USB wireless transmitter, but I cannot get around the
display hardware.

message about wireless in dmesg is:
ath10k/QCA6174/hw3.0/firmware-5.bin failed with error -2

Qualcomm Atheros Killer E2500 Gigabit Ethernet Controller is not configurable,
except with a patch into the /sys directory found on the internet.

Message about the graphics chipset from the Nouveau list is:

"GP106 is supported, you must be using an older kernel (since yours
says "unknown chipset")".

How dangerous is it to download on of the kernels from the Opensuse search
site. Kernel.org says the latest stable release is 4.17.12. Under
search/42.3/community packages, there are a few offerings shown at this
revision level. How bad is it to install one of these kernels?

Don

Don,

It's not dangerous at all. openSuSE has long had the KOTD (kernel of the
day) repository and the stable repository that offer the latest kernels. You
can simply add the repo to your yast repositories and install and test the
kernel, e.g.

https://download.opensuse.org/repositories/Kernel:/stable/standard

You can check your /etc/zypp/zypp.conf and make sure you have multiversion
for the kernel enabled (I believe it is by default). That way when you install
the new kernel from stable -- you will still have your current kernel
installed on your machine. If things go south, just select the old kernel at
the boot screen by selecting (I forget what the link is called, it is
something like "Advanced Options" that is listed either below, or when you
expand the highlighted boot entry at the boot screen). The 8sec countdown
timer will stop when you do, so you can take your time and pick through the
available kernels to boot.

Just confirm in /etc/zypp/zypp.conf you have:

multiversion = provides:multiversion(kernel)

and

multiversion.kernels = latest,latest-1,running

which keeps the running kernel, the kernel with the highest version, and the
kernel with the next highest version by my read of the comments (though it is
unclear if 'running' and 'latest' apply to the same kernel, the setting is
evaluated by /sbin/purge-kernels, not libzypp)

Either way, you will still have your current and stable installed -- which
you can boot to your old kernel in case of emergency and just delete the new
stable one if it doesn't work out.

I checked and stable is 4.17.12 -- so if your hardware is supported by the
latest kernel -- you will be in luck. Good luck.

--
David C. Rankin, J.D.,P.E.