Re: [opensuse] How to add a second openSUSE install to an EFI machine?
Op zaterdag 4 augustus 2018 15:35:04 CEST schreef Carlos E. R.:
Ok,

now I have an EFI laptop that successfully boots Windows and Linux freshly
installed (leap 15.0)

Now I also want to copy another openSUSE install from an external backup
to the internal disk (using rsync). I have no issues with root and home,
but I do not know how to handle the EFI partition.

Because both openSUSE installs use the same dirs and files in EFI...

I have a laptop with EFI with Windows and three openSUSE systems. I simply
have at least 9 partitions on the disk. After starting the laptop I get a GRUB
menu in which to choose which system to boot.

Once I reformatted two of these partitions, so they appear empty. Booting one
of the remaining openSUSE system and using the bootloader of that system
removes the non-existent system from the GRUB menu. I copied the system and
home partition, using rsync, to the empty partitions. While formatting I gave
the empty partitions a new unique name. After rsync I did put another name in
/etc/hostname on the new system partition and changed also the label name of /
and /home in /etc/fstab. In /etc/fstab I use labels to mount partitions. After
that I used bootloader to get this new system in the GRUB menu, which did not
quite succeeded. After boot, having the GRUB boot menu and selecting the new
system I needed to edit in GRUB the entry for the new system. The reason was
that that there was an inconsistency in the two lines in the menu. It might be
that the UUID mentioned in both lines did not match. Changing the UUID in the
second line to equal the one in the first line, made the new system boot.
Using bootloader in that system repaired the GRUB menu.

Hope this works for you too.

Apparently an openSUSE system uses equal versions in EFI. So AFAIK EFI starts
GRUB and you select in GRUB the preferred system.

--
fr.gr.

member openSUSE
Freek de Kruijf