Re: [opensuse] Re: Which is better? depends on your definition of 'better'.
On 23/07/18 11:23 PM, Linda Walsh wrote:
Turritopsis Dohrnii Teo En Ming wrote:
Good evening from Singapore,

I am torn between deploying Exchange 2016 and Linux-based
SMTP servers like sendmail, postfix, qmail and exim.
----
    It may not be an issue for you, but if you ever have
a need for supporting wildcards on a domain, I've been told that
Exchange doesn't support it.  A wild card would mean any email
sent to a specific domain address could be 'caught' and
funneled into 1 user mail box.

And one thing about UNIX/Linux is that the concept of what is a mailbox is very,
very flexible.

It may read, at the user end, something that pipes though another process

| /home/$USER/bin/antoherprocess

Or that "one mailbox" may be similarly implemented for the domain by the MTA,
Postfix or Sendmail/Proofpoint or Exim. And they *ALL* have *EXCELLENT* and
comprehensive documentation that outshines Microsoft, plenty of examples in the
docco and on-line, support access control lists, content scanning, encryption,
routing controls, and can make use of any one of a number of different databases
to support various aspects of their configuration.

In terms of capabilities and documentation they put Microsoft to shame.

And more to the point: they are both open and consistent.
They use openly documented mailbox formats.
I recall trying, for a client, to convert from Outlook and truing to extract the
bulk of the messages from the (undocumented) message store. There was a 3rd
party app for this, $$, but it didn't work. Microsoft had changed their store
format without telling anyone.