Re: [opensuse] mozilla-nss update
On Wed, 27 Jun 2018 11:28:40 +0100
Dave Howorth <dave@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On Wed, 27 Jun 2018 15:00:27 +0930
Simon Lees <sflees@xxxxxxx> wrote:

On 26/06/18 23:46, Dave Howorth wrote:
I just went to YaST Online Update and see a bunch of updates
available. When I click on Accept, a box pops up advising me that
an update to mozilla-nss has also been changed to resolve
dependencies. I have 3.36.1-47.1 and it wants to install
3.36.4-50.1.

What I can't find is how to see what dependency would be broken,
or why this update is only listed as an 'automatic' one and not
in the list of available updates, so I can't see what problems it
is supposed to fix.

How can I access that information?

So from a basic guess, I can confirm that the Firefox update is what
requires the updated version of mozilla-nss, from general knowledge
I can also tell you that the update will just have updated security
certificates etc.

Thanks. I have Firefox updates tabooed, so why does it need to update
mozilla-nss for dependencies? The other nss components in the firefox
update list with the same possible version transition are marked as
'keep', so I worry that upgrading just one would break dependencies
rather than preserve them.

But again, is there a way to access this information that doesn't
involve a magical pronunciation from on high?

No answer, so I've kept investigating. The answer appears to be that
the update is a dependency of the concurrent Java update, although the
Java update doesn't appear to mention that. In order to discover that
information, I tried to 'keep' the mozilla-nss package but that wasn't
allowed, so I tried to lock it and then it gave me a dependency chart
that pointed to java.

This is a mess, IMHO. Is it a YaST bug, or a packaging bug with the
specific packages?