Re: [opensuse] Boot problem after latest TW dup
On 06/29/2018 09:19 AM, Knurpht@openSUSE wrote:
Op vrijdag 29 juni 2018 14:51:31 CEST schreef Ken Schneider - openSUSE:
Old HP computer so possible hardware issues.

I had issues during the dup to 20180628 and need to use the rescue
system to repair grub. I cannot find an email I had with steps including
'bind -o' in them so if some kind soul could sent the procedure I would
appreciate it. I've already repaired the filesystem but need to repair
grub as well.

Many thanks.
Boot from an install medium, escape to a console by Ctrl-Alt-F2
In the bit below replace sdX# by the /dev/sdX# entry where your root fs is
located, f.e. /dev/sda2

Then do:
mount /dev/sdX# /mnt
mount --bind /dev /mnt/dev
mount --bind /proc /mnt/proc
mount --bind /sys /mnt/sys
chroot /mnt
yast

Thank you Knurpht, I was able to repair the boot files for the older kernel and boot to it.

I suspect a problem with one of the memory modules but when I try to run memtest from the 20180628 DVD image the system reboots almost imediately when the test begins (4 $Gib modules). Does anyone know of issues with the memtest on the install DVD?

--
Ken Schneider
SuSe since Version 5.2, June 1998