Re: [opensuse] Combined wifi bluetooth RTL8723DE on an HP 15 laptop has bluetooth only.

On 28/06/18 21:03, John Andersen wrote:
On 06/28/2018 01:31 AM, Dave Plater wrote:
Hi, I've bought an HP 15 laptop where neither blue tooth or wifi works under
both 42.3 and Leap
15.0. Of course it works perfectly under windows 10. I googled and found that
Larry Finger maintains
a git hub repository of such drivers and I checked out rtlwifi_new which has my
RTL8723DE driver src
but it fails to build most probably due to the Leap:15.0 kernel being altered.
Can anybody help, I'm currently stumped.

Thanks
Dave P

This is part of the price you pay for Opensuse basing their latest release on an
obsolete deprecated kernel.
https://github.com/smlinux/rtl8723de supports it with kernle 4.15.

You can try installing kernel-firmware from Leap 15.
The change log of that package suggests it was included in there, and my version
seems to have something that looks like it might work

jsa@poulsbo:~> locate -i RTL8723DE
/lib/firmware/rtlwifi/rtl8723defw.bin

You might file a bug report if that does not work.

I saw the firmware file, I'm still trying to work out how to install it.
I suppose my next step should be a kernel from kernel head and to file a bug.

Thanks
Dave P