Re: [opensuse] Adobe Reader no longer works - 15.0
On 06/28/2018 07:25 PM, Carlos E. R. wrote:
On 2018-06-29 03:51, don fisher wrote:
On 06/28/2018 04:18 AM, Carlos E. R. wrote:

I tried adding the above 2 libraries and acroread appears to work for
me. And it exits fine, but I use the FVWM2 window manger which may be
different.
How does /usr/lib/Adobe/Reader9/Reader/intellinux/lib get included in
your LD_LIBRARY_PATH search path. I added it manually to mine, but other
emails appear to imply it was added automatically, like I assume it
should be.

Apparently that directory is scanned by acroread for libraries it needs,
to be used in preference to the system ones. I don't know if it changes
the LD_LIBRARY_PATH, but it might, it uses a script to all the program.

cer@Telcontar:~> file /usr/bin/acroread
/usr/bin/acroread: symbolic link to ../lib/Adobe/Reader9/bin/acroread
cer@Telcontar:~> file /usr/lib/Adobe/Reader9/bin/acroread
/usr/lib/Adobe/Reader9/bin/acroread: setgid POSIX shell script, ASCII text
executable
cer@Telcontar:~>

Then "grep LD_LIBRARY_PATH /usr//lib/Adobe/Reader9/bin/acroread" finds
hits. So that's how.

This is an strategy that is "sound" for proprietary packages that are
not rebuilt (compiled) for each distribution and distro release. Instead
they use their own.

pdfstudioviewer, for instance, brings its own java version.

I was considering trying to find the above two libraries in debug or
source form and determine with gdb what the problem is. Then possibly
file a bug report. Is this a worthwhile effort?

Thanks for all the assistance!

I think Joerg Kuehne used gdb to find out. He said something about it in
a post I did not fully understand, so you'd better have a look at it.

I cannot find the source for libpcre.so.1 on the opensuse source server. libxcb.so was there. Is there something I am doing wrong?

Don