[opensuse] Re: default replies in email -- is not forcing someone to do more work...that's why it's a default.
Patrick Shanahan wrote:
so write a filter for your email client that sends her personal mail when
you respond to a post that she might find interesting enough to read. after all, one would not seek to interrupt her busy day. for now, I am
going to the kitcfhen to get another cup of coffee. no time for more, but
I might see a response the next time I read the list. but I definitely do
not want to read two copies of the same mail.
---
I corrected the header in the next email, it's not reply-to,
It's Mail-follow-up to -- and this is a perfect example -- becaue it
was sent to the list and not directly to you -- you missed it.

When I respond to all on your emails, it only goes to lit.
When I response to you, it only goes to you (which it wouldn't if
reply-to was used and set to the list).

Other people, when using reply-to, get the author, and when using
reply-to-all, get the list and the author.

That's normal behavior following RFC's. Some mailers
have a reply-to-list option -- which only sends to the list.

Your mails are setup so that you only get 1 copy. I only see one
outgoing address when I respond to you (whether reply-to (author)
or reply-to-all).
That's why I'm saying -- if someone only wants one -- email can be
configured to, by default only send to one or other (author or list).
It's the choice of the author.

I simply use the normal default -- which would send to both author
and list and ask people to leave me on the distribution line when
responding to me. I ask them to do *less work*. I don't ask them
to add my name, by default, it should already be there with most mailers unless they've configured it otherwise.

By using email defaults, everyone can be happy -- but you don't seem
to either "get" that or "want it"...why?