Re: [opensuse] Cups compatibility
On 27/06/18 11:41 AM, Carlos E. R. wrote:
Why should it? EML is a thunderbird invention, Alpine doesn't do it.

In which case the print dialogue of the mail user interface should offer a
command that can act as the filter.

If you install the 'xv' package, I have
xv-3.10a-1280.3.1.x86_64
and therein the view any one of a number of file types such as
xv /tmp/eml2.ps
and then call up the 'print' option, you will see that it has the option to
enter a print command.
The default is simply 'lpr' q.v. your earlier email.
But if I want I can enter a some complex filter such as the an enscript with a
pile of options that send the result to the RAW spooler.

But I'm almost sure that you can add an automatic filter of your choice
to cups.

Yes, that method of filtering relies on MIME and as far as MIME is concerned an
email message is text.
Well, yes it is text, but it is the SEMANTICS that makes it different.

Yes, I noted 'cupsPreFilter' but there is still the MIME route to get there.
<quote>
cupsPreFilter

*cupsPreFilter: "source/type cost program"

This string keyword provides a pre-filter rule. The pre-filter program will be
inserted in the conversion chain immediately before the filter that accepts the
given MIME type.
</quote>

I've just pulled my old SVR4 manuals and looked at how it deal with different
things like dot matrix printers, teletype printers, forms processing, , smart
typewriters that used pin-wheels for different fonts and more.
it was a lot more script-driven and admin friendly and made up out of the
discrete components and data pathways, the old 'each thing goes one thing, and
paid more attention to what was the command line option that this 'treat all
text files as text file'.