Re: [opensuse] Cups compatibility
On 27/06/18 05:57 AM, Carlos E. R. wrote:
Now, what email file do you want me to try?

I saved your email to file from Yhunderbird, then printed it:

cer@Telcontar:~> file \[opensuse\]\ Cups\ compatibility.eml
[opensuse] Cups compatibility.eml: SMTP mail, ASCII text, with CRLF line
terminators
cer@Telcontar:~> lpr \[opensuse\]\ Cups\ compatibility.eml
cer@Telcontar:~>

Worked fine, except that some lines are too long, and that it printed
all the headers. It was handled as text.

yes I've seen that in my own experimentation and its WRONG.

If you print an email message from within thunderbird using the regular GUI
print dialogue you don't get the SMTP format.

As it stands the print system is NOT recognising this .eml file as other than
text.

Big deal. So much for recognition..

Now, offline to CUPS..
I saved you email as plain text, just the normal headers rather than the whole
RAW message, the kind of thing you'd normally read in the GUI.
I then pretty-printed that using 'enscript' as a filter

enscript -G -Email -p Cups\ compatibility.ps Cups\ compatibility.txt

In this case I used the "-p" option to save it to a file rather then the -P
option to send it to the RAW postscript printer.

Rather than throw a long PS file at you and the list, I'm going to send just to
you the result of converting it to a much shorter PDF.

ps2pdf Cups\ compatibility.ps Cups\ compatibility.pdf

People can try this for themselves.

Enscript can pretty-print a wide variety of languages, RTFM.

In days of old, applications prompted for the kind of print command to use and
you could do a
lpr -o 'filter requirements...'
or
enscript .... -d RAW_spool
there in the GUI prompt.

We've taken horrific steps backwards in the name of user
<strike>frailness</strike> friendliness as defined by Apple

As I say, back in the SVR4 days the print system could be easily handle this
kind of filer routing on demand.
Now, as you've seen, CUPS just thinks its a text file. Using 'file' is OK, but
if you don't pay attention to what the user wants then what's the point?
This isn't artificial intelligence it's stupidity.