Re: [opensuse] Cups compatibility
On 2018-06-27 05:40, Anton Aylward wrote:
On 26/06/18 02:29 PM, Simon Becherer wrote:
Hi,

mh, maybe i misunderstand you, but normally cups find out
what is send to them, and will convert it automatically to ps, if your ppd
file is correct and your /etc/cups/printers.conf also.

Along the way I have general and specifics.

As I understand it I can pretty-print to my postscript printer email messages
using 'enscript' with the "language=mail" option under the "-E" option.

Right now I have to save the message to a text file and run the command
with
-P brother_Postscript
which is my raw interface.

It seems clunky.
As clunky as sending a PGP message the same way rather than using the Enigmail
plugin.

back in the UNIX SVR4 days the front-end filters were smart enough to
recognise
email and check user config and do the 'enscript' thing.
So why isn't CUPS recognising what is being sent to it?
Why can't I set up a 'enscript' filter if it sees email?

Or, conversely, this isn't a CUPS problem but a problem that has to be solved
for each and ever mail user interface individually.
Which, as I implied, for an old UNIX hack, seems a bit ridiculous.
maybe someone should reinvent the SVR4 print manager and replace CUPS.

I can send basically any file to cups and it is printed. Cups applies
the correct software tools to manage it. However, I may not like the
result and may apply different filters manually.

lpr file.txt
lpr file.pdf
lpr file.ps
lpr file.jpg

Ok, the later I have not tried in a long time. I'm trying just now. Yes,
it worked.

Now, what email file do you want me to try?

I saved your email to file from Yhunderbird, then printed it:

cer@Telcontar:~> file \[opensuse\]\ Cups\ compatibility.eml
[opensuse] Cups compatibility.eml: SMTP mail, ASCII text, with CRLF line
terminators
cer@Telcontar:~> lpr \[opensuse\]\ Cups\ compatibility.eml
cer@Telcontar:~>

Worked fine, except that some lines are too long, and that it printed
all the headers. It was handled as text.

Cups works just fine.

--
Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.