[opensuse] Cups compatibility
On 26/06/18 02:29 PM, Simon Becherer wrote:
Hi,

mh, maybe i misunderstand you, but normally cups find out
what is send to them, and will convert it automatically to ps, if your ppd
file is correct and your /etc/cups/printers.conf also.

Along the way I have general and specifics.

As I understand it I can pretty-print to my postscript printer email messages
using 'enscript' with the "language=mail" option under the "-E" option.

Right now I have to save the message to a text file and run the command
with
-P brother_Postscript
which is my raw interface.

It seems clunky.
As clunky as sending a PGP message the same way rather than using the Enigmail
plugin.

back in the UNIX SVR4 days the front-end filters were smart enough to recognise
email and check user config and do the 'enscript' thing.
So why isn't CUPS recognising what is being sent to it?
Why can't I set up a 'enscript' filter if it sees email?

Or, conversely, this isn't a CUPS problem but a problem that has to be solved
for each and ever mail user interface individually.
Which, as I implied, for an old UNIX hack, seems a bit ridiculous.
maybe someone should reinvent the SVR4 print manager and replace CUPS.