Re: [opensuse] Attempting to boot Windows 10 from an external disk
On 2018-06-26 02:57, Felix Miata wrote:
David C. Rankin composed on 2018-06-25 16:15 (UTC-0500):

Windows (and it's system partition) must be the first thing

IME this has never been true. Until very roughly 10 years years ago, I never
put
Windows on sda1. The only reason I switched to using sda1 for it is that any
other primary is a larger size in sectors than a nominally identical logical.
When it's on sda1, it can be cloned to an identical size logical as a simple
backup.

on the *primary
drive*.
Win10 here gets only 400MB at the front of sda for its boot files. Its system
and data partitions go on logicals, following the most important Linux and/or
DOS partitions.

In my case sdb1 is EFI, sdb2 is the Windows boot partition, 16 megs, and
sdb3 is the main windows partition. This was made by the manufacturer,
but on sda, of course. I suspect that sdb2 has hardcoded that Windows is
in sda3.

I have to explore the Win2USB that Liam suggested.

--
Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.