Re: [opensuse] Attempting to boot Windows 10 from an external disk
On 6/25/2018 7:57 PM, Felix Miata wrote:
David C. Rankin composed on 2018-06-25 16:15 (UTC-0500):

Windows (and it's system partition) must be the first thing

IME this has never been true. Until very roughly 10 years years ago, I never
put
Windows on sda1. The only reason I switched to using sda1 for it is that any
other primary is a larger size in sectors than a nominally identical logical.
When it's on sda1, it can be cloned to an identical size logical as a simple
backup.

on the *primary
drive*.
Win10 here gets only 400MB at the front of sda for its boot files. Its system
and data partitions go on logicals, following the most important Linux and/or
DOS partitions.

Well then -- I have more testing to do. (I don't dabble with windows too
much, though I did boot it for this thread). If the System Partition
(the 400M or so) is the only thing required up-front with Win10, then
Carlos has a chance. Now booting through the USB is something I'm just
flat ignorant about. I've never tried and other than virtualizing OS's,
I have, and probably always will, keep my OS's on the primary or
secondary drives.

The reason for that is that to establish and boot from the USB, the
controller must make the drive available as part of the boot process.
Maybe you can include an initrd hook to insure a particular USB device
is present before continuing the boot -- but that is a lot different
than plugging a USB in after the system and USB controller is fully up
and have the drive show us as /dev/sdc, etc..

Maybe somebody on the list is already doing something like that. Now you
have me interested in how it could work...

--
David C. Rankin, J.D.,P.E.