Re: [opensuse] Attempting to boot Windows 10 from an external disk
On 2018-06-25 17:43, Liam Proven wrote:
On 25/06/18 17:37, Liam Proven wrote:
A complete reinstall _might_ work but I am not sure that Windows _can_
run off a USB-attached drive.

I did a little more research.

It can but it's tricky.

This is a feature of Enterprise editions of Windows, and even then, it
requires special USB media. It is called Windows To Go. There is a
significant list of limitations.

<https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/deployment/planning/windows-to-go-overview>

However, there is a 3rd party tool that can install ordinary Windows in
this scenario.

<https://www.pcworld.com/article/3185777/windows/how-to-install-windows-on-an-external-drive.html>

Thanks, I'll read that.

«Before we start, let’s get the bad news out of the way: Windows will
refuse to install on an external drive if it knows that’s what you’re
doing. But there are a few ways around this, including emulation via
tools like VMWare. The easiest workaround is an application called
WinToUSB.»

Oh, so it may be that they just do not want to do it... :-(

It's called Win2USB.

https://www.easyuefi.com/wintousb/

--
Cheers / Saludos,