Re: [opensuse] Attempting to boot Windows 10 from an external disk
On 25/06/18 17:29, Felix Miata wrote:
I would never expect Windows to adapt to being moved to a different bus type
(USB from SATA). What I think would stand a chance is eSATA, if a laptop has
such a port, if that port is driven by the same I/O chip (same ATA bus) as the
internal storage.

Agreed.

There is a very _very_ remote chance that if you run a Boot Repair from
a Windows startup medium, it might be able to fix it, but I very much
doubt it.

A complete reinstall _might_ work but I am not sure that Windows _can_
run off a USB-attached drive. It driver setup needs to know what bus the
boot disk is on, and with USB, it can't know that.

As Felix said, eSATA *might* work.

If you don't have eSATA then I suspect it won't.