Re: lots of editors (was "Re: [opensuse] Baffled by shell script")
On 2018-06-24 14:39, David T-G wrote:
Hi, all --

...and then jdd@xxxxxxxxx said...
%
% Le 24/06/2018 à 12:23, Mikhail Ramendik a écrit :
%
% >People are responding about knowing vi, but I suspect that nano is
% >
% on kde, kate works well (no more kwrite), but vi may be the only app

There are tons of editors out there, and some of them are even
acceptable. That's not the point, though. You will find vi on
every *NIX system (unless you build from scratch and choose to
exclude it); when you can't count on anything else, you can count
on vi (and ed, which I admit requiers being able to hold more in
your head).

You should find "joe" on every openSUSE machine, even the rescue image
on the install DVD. We asked many years ago for it and convinced devs to
not only package vi and not rely on people having to vi by force.

% that open absolutely any file and the number of commands to learn is
% very low (i, ESC, :wq, :q, :/) do most of the job :-)

I'd go so far as to say that you really should also be familiar with
the hjkl cursor movement keys, since not all keyboards have those
silly arrow things :-) In general, though, this is true.

Every PC (PC as in IBM PC clone descendant) has arrows.

--
Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.