Re: [opensuse] Network manager does not restore same connection
  • From: Per Jessen <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 24 Jun 2018 14:11:28 +0200
Carlos E. R. wrote:

On 2018-06-24 12:54, James Knott wrote:
On 06/24/2018 06:51 AM, Carlos E. R. wrote:
On that place, only authorized machines got an IP.

That's easy enough to do based on MAC address.  With some DHCP
servers you can create a list of MACs to allow or deny.

I know, but it was way more complex than that.

As I said, the machines had to be configured in Bios to boot only from
network, never from disk. They loaded some code, and this did the auth
and allowed Windows to boot properly.

I know because there was some problem, IT was very slow coming, so we
attempted recovery, and set computer to boot stand alone. It booted to
windows, no network, and no domain. The IT chap finally came and
changed the bios to boot from network and booted. He told me the name
of the protocol but that was years ago and I have forgotten.

dhcp/bootp + PXE + tftp. All very ancient stuff :-)

--
Per Jessen, Zürich (20.4°C)