Re: [opensuse] Network manager does not restore same connection
On 2018-06-24 12:54, James Knott wrote:
On 06/24/2018 06:51 AM, Carlos E. R. wrote:
On that place, only authorized machines got an IP.

That's easy enough to do based on MAC address.  With some DHCP servers
you can create a list of MACs to allow or deny.

I know, but it was way more complex than that.

As I said, the machines had to be configured in Bios to boot only from
network, never from disk. They loaded some code, and this did the auth
and allowed Windows to boot properly.

I know because there was some problem, IT was very slow coming, so we
attempted recovery, and set computer to boot stand alone. It booted to
windows, no network, and no domain. The IT chap finally came and changed
the bios to boot from network and booted. He told me the name of the
protocol but that was years ago and I have forgotten. At a military place.

If it were MAC based, the machine would have gotten an address.

--
Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.