Re: [opensuse] Network manager does not restore same connection
On 2018-06-23 19:23, Andrei Borzenkov wrote:
21.06.2018 11:42, Carlos E. R. пишет:

Hi,

On return from hibernation, Network Manager doesn't restore the same
connection that was active.

I have two eth network configurations: one automatic, which is the
default one, and one fixed, in which I define the address and other
things. I'm using "Fixed", but if I hibernate and restore I get "wired
connection 1", ie dhcp.

I'm going to the undefine "wired connection 1" the setting "connect to
this network when available", but then maybe it will not connect to
anyone. [...] Confirmed, then I get "no connection". I may try to set
both as default, see which one gets it... [...] Well, it was the "Fixed"
one.

It is rather hard to answer question with zero information
(distribution, version, configuration ...), but ...

That machine has 15.0 and XFCE desktop. If you need something else, ask,
I didn't think it was relevant, sorry.

"Wired connection 1" is created by NetworkManager automatically for
physical interface if no other applicable connections exist. It is
in-memory only and is not saved on disk unless you explicitly modify it
in connection editor.

NM keeps timestamps for each connection and normally attempts to connect
to the one which was used most recently.

Well, it did not.

The previous one was named "fixed", and it restored to "Wired connection
1" several times.

In my testing with two identical (up to the name of course) wired
connections NM always selects the one that was used last. This also
includes resume from hibernate (unfortunately interface never gets IP in
QEMU with user network but connection that is attempted to be activated
is the last one).

So if after resume you get "Wired connection 1" again most
straightforward answer is that your other connection simply is not (yet)
known to NetworkManager, i.e. it is most likely user, not system,
connection.

Both are filed by now. I renamed "Wired connection 1" to "automatic".

I solved the issue by marking both "automatically connect to this
network when it is available".

P.S. and it is NetworkManager, not "network manager". "Network manager"
may refer to any arbitrary program you use to manage your network.

I was writing on another computer that doesn't have it. Plus, the NM
configuration editor doesn't say the name of the program. Several of its
windows don't say the name of the thing, so I had to guess.

--
Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.