Re: [opensuse] Network manager does not restore same connection
On 2018-06-23 20:47, James Knott wrote:
On 06/23/2018 12:27 PM, Carlos E. R. wrote:
I have two eth network configurations: one automatic, which is the
default one, and one fixed, in which I define the address and other
things. I'm using "Fixed", but if I hibernate and restore I get "wired
connection 1", ie dhcp.
How does NetworkManager chose a network connection? is there a default?
I.e. is the default to pick a wireless for instance?
Not that I know. There is "use this connection if available", and I
guess it checks them alphabetically, unless there is some numerical
order inside.

What happens if two connections, as is my case now, have that bit
enabled? So far it is reusing the same connection because it is available.

With WiFi and Ethernet on the same network, it's the metric that causes
Ethernet to be preferred, though the WiFi will still connect.

You misunderstand. Which cable configuration does network manager
prefers to start, when several have the "activate this one if available"?

Similarly, when NM has two or more definitions for the same SSID, which
one is activated?

BTW, back in the 90s, when I worked at IBM and was running OS/2, I had a
static IP for my ThinkPad (9.29.146.147, I've long forgotten my SNA
address) for use in my office, but had a utility that enabled me to
select other options, including DHCP, when elsewhere.  That can now be
done easily in the Network Manager.  Incidentally, that was back in the
day when DHCP was just becoming popular and people working at IBM were
assigned static addresses.  I had 5 IP & SNA, 1 each for my own use and
4 for testing in my work.  Back then I had all 10 addresses memorized,
as I had configured them so many times.  Now I just have to memorize
several IPv6 addresses.  ;-)

:-)

--
Cheers / Saludos,