Re: [opensuse] Network manager does not restore same connection
  • From: Per Jessen <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 24 Jun 2018 12:54:37 +0200
Carlos E. R. wrote:

On 2018-06-23 20:58, Per Jessen wrote:
James Knott wrote:

On 06/23/2018 03:16 AM, Carlos E. R. wrote:
It might try on wake up DHCP on a new network that requires a
different type of DHCP with password

Since when does DHCP require a password?

I was wondering about that one too, I don't know of any dhcp
implementation that requires a password.

I wonder if Carlos meant one of those setups where at first you only
get access to a login webpage. After authentication, you then have
full access.

I have been on networks where only authorized computers get an
address.

Sure, I expect we all have, it's a very common setup. Even your wifi is
one of those :-)

However, if you google "dhcp password" there are many hits, several to
say no, but some say yes:

Neither is necessarily proof of anything. :-)
A config example would be a good start.

The typical setup for a private network that accepts authenticated
guests is something like this:

As a guest, you get a DHCP address from a dedicated "sandboxed" range,
where everything is fed through the same router - all that is accepted
is port 80, which diverts to a single webpage. Here you present your
credentials (e.g. a password) and your machine can now be given an
address in the open range. Quite similar to open Wifi networks that
still require known users.

It doesn't have to be a separate router, it can be done with icmp
redirects too, but afaik, Windows had a problem with those at some
point. Causes too much hassle for the helpdesk :-(

--
Per Jessen, Zürich (19.9°C)