Re: [opensuse] Network manager does not restore same connection
On 2018-06-21 22:44, John Andersen wrote:
On 06/21/2018 01:42 AM, Carlos E. R. wrote:

Hi,

On return from hibernation, Network Manager doesn't restore the same
connection that was active.

I have two eth network configurations: one automatic, which is the default
one, and one fixed, in
which I define the address and other things. I'm using "Fixed", but if I
hibernate and restore I get
"wired connection 1", ie dhcp.

I'm going to the undefine "wired connection 1" the setting "connect to this
network when available",
but then maybe it will not connect to anyone. [...] Confirmed, then I get
"no connection". I may try
to set both as default, see which one gets it... [...] Well, it was the
"Fixed" one.

I'm going to suggest that was intentional.
People hibernate (and/or suspend)machines mostly to travel, home to work, on
the road, etc.
Expecting the same connection to be available, and preferred upon resume
seems a corner case
rather than the normal case.
The IP set (manually or via DHCP) should never be trusted upon a resume. You
may have moved
from one network to another.

That is debatable. Many people use a laptop at home instead of a desktop
machine, and the laptop is sitting permanently on a table in the sitting
room, occasionally going somewhere. And it is normal to hibernate
machines when not in use, some do so automatically after a period of not
being used.

It is perfectly valid to verify if the conditions before are still valid
after, and if they are, restore the connections, and if not, find new ones.

If the connection is wifi, it is of course easy to verify if the same
SSID is available. On wire I don't know, but the assumption that if it
is connected by wire before and after the wire is the same one is
perfectly valid.

Otherwise, the correct thing to do is ask the user, if wires can not be
identified.

--
Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.