Re: [opensuse] Network manager does not restore same connection
On 06/21/2018 01:42 AM, Carlos E. R. wrote:

Hi,

On return from hibernation, Network Manager doesn't restore the same
connection that was active.

I have two eth network configurations: one automatic, which is the default
one, and one fixed, in
which I define the address and other things. I'm using "Fixed", but if I
hibernate and restore I get
"wired connection 1", ie dhcp.

I'm going to the undefine "wired connection 1" the setting "connect to this
network when available",
but then maybe it will not connect to anyone. [...] Confirmed, then I get "no
connection". I may try
to set both as default, see which one gets it... [...] Well, it was the
"Fixed" one.

I'm going to suggest that was intentional.
People hibernate (and/or suspend)machines mostly to travel, home to work, on
the road, etc.
Expecting the same connection to be available, and preferred upon resume seems
a corner case
rather than the normal case.
The IP set (manually or via DHCP) should never be trusted upon a resume. You
may have moved
from one network to another.

I think network disconnect is the norm upon suspend/hibernate.
And given that, then network initialization and connection would be the norm
upon resume.

If you have two separate cat5 jacks on the machine, they might come up in
random order
unless you take measures to prevent that.

There is also a built in preference for a wired connection over a wifi.

So I think you are expecting the exact prior state, but the system is designed
to seek out the best new state.