Re: [opensuse] Leap 15 and rhythmbox
Hello,

On Sat, 16 Jun 2018, Carlos E. R. wrote:
On 2018-06-16 05:59, David Haller wrote:
[..]
DO NOT CONFUSE A DISPLAYMANAGER (xdm, tdm, gdk, kdm, sddm, lightdm...)
WITH A WIDOWMANAGER (twm, fvwm, aewm, openbox, fluxbox, WindowMaker,
kwin, ...)

I don't.

Others in this thread seem to.

A displaymanager is just a fancy graphical shell for login and
choosing your windowmanager.

Not "just" anymore.

It starts, for instance:
/usr/bin/ck-launch-session
/usr/bin/ssh-agent
/usr/bin/gpg-agent

I do NOT need nor use _any_ of those.

/usr/bin/dbus-launch

That one's difficult, but that one gets started constantly even when I
do not want it.

/home/cer/.xinitrc

And _IFF_ I wanted e.g. ssh-agent/gpg-agent, I could start those via
xinitrc or some other autostart or login-script or whatnot.

It handles permission to access sound, for instance.

Oh, you mean that "seat" feature of consolekit/systemd? Who _actually_
does sit at a single computer with more than one person sitting there,
typing and playing sounds??? Are you kidding me?

don says he gets this error:

Unable to grab media player keys:
GDBus.Error:org.freedesktop.Dbus.Error.ServiceUnKnown: The name
org.gnome.SettingsDaemon was not provided by any .service files

rhythmbox is a gnome app, and gnome relies on having a proper display
manager doing certain jobs, and startx certainly doesn't do them out of
the box.

So, as I wrote, Don has to install gsettings and dbus and have it
started.

Good luck with that.

Tell him how *exactly* to get rhythmbox in 15.0 and fvwm2. Install
yourself 15.0 and try, then tell him exactly how to do it via startx.

Well, actually, it turns out that rhythmbox doesn't even need
gsettings.

(rhythmbox:22518): Rhythmbox-WARNING **: 11:40:41.884: Unable to grab
media player keys:
GDBus.Error:org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnknown: The name
org.gnome.SettingsDaemon was not provided by any .service files

How could it, this being on my gentoo (chrooted to ATM), with no
systemd or other crap.

But rhythmbox still plays a mp3 just fine. Ok, dbus stuff is running
(partly in the chroot)... Killing that off and running 'chmod 0
/usr/bin/dbus-*'. And *tada*, rhythmbox still plays a mp3 just fine.
Not a dbus nor gsettings process in sight.

(host)# ps ax |grep -i -e dbus -e gsettings
23849 pts/0 S+ 0:00 grep -i -e dbus -e gsettings

(while rhythmbox is happily playing a mp3)

Naturally, I can't _use_ dbus (e.g. via xbindkeys + dbus-send) to
manipulate rhythmbox in that situation.

Oh, BTW, that's with rhythmbox-3.4.2 built upon gstreamer-1.12.4 plus
gst-plugins-{base,bad,good}-1.12.4.

So, actually, something completely different must be amiss for Don, as
rhythmbox needs to be compiled against dbus (and indirectly gsettings
I think), but does not actually needs it to run.

I'll see (or not) if i get a Leap 15.0 VM running...

-dnh

--
"Funny. Just when you think life can't get any worse, it suddenly does."
-- Marvin