Re: [opensuse] zypper/yast vs. other package managers (was: Philosophical question?)
On 18/06/18 14:39, Carlos E. R. wrote:
I just installed a laptop with Leap 15.0 this weekend, design made on
2016 («Lenovo Yoga 300-11IBR», 11.6"). Everything seems to work out of
the box, even the touch screen.

Volume keys work. Brightness keys work. Other keys I have not tried,
those that would send video to an external display. The edge volume key
works. The edge key to stop rotation produces "o" in the terminal.

I have not yet tried wifi or BT, but I know that NM detected the wifi
SSIDs around. BT doesn't have a GUI in XFCE, AFAIK.

This *was* a few months ago. I was using 42.3.

Also, I have long noted that Lenovo Thinkpads have some of the best
Linux support around. Alas, my workbench/test machine was a Toshiba
Satellite Pro.

There are traces on various mailing lists of my struggles with this
thing, as well as on my blog...

https://bugs.dogfood.paddev.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/1212199

https://liam-on-linux.livejournal.com/35410.html

E.g. between Ubuntu 12.04 and 12.04-1, AMD stopped maintaining the fglrx
driver for the version of X.org that Ubuntu was using, so OpenGL stopped
working. Switching *from* proprietary *to* FOSS drivers is not trivial
-- the main path is the other way, and that is what is mostly tested.

It's just one of thousands of models of Toshiba laptop, and probably few
people continued using these things after Windows Vista was superseded.

Thinkpads are a bit different...