Re: [opensuse] Philosophical question?
On Sunday, 17 June 2018 20:47:36 ACST James Knott wrote:
On 06/16/2018 01:11 AM, Rodney Baker wrote:
The hardest thing for me, moving from OS/2 to Linux, was missing the
"Workplace Shell" desktop environment. That had some really cool features
that no Linux distro has ever matched. I ran OS/2 from version 2.0 right
through to the last days of Warp 4, before it became eComStation (which
is still available, btw, but not exactly cheap).

That WPS really was something and hasn't been duplicated elsewhere.
Real loss. I started with OS/2 2.0, when it was first released, and
continued using it until after I left IBM in 2000. I then gradually
moved to Linux.

One really great thing about the WPA was the extended attributes, which
could contain up to 64 KB of metadata about a file. Also, REXX scripts
could run directly from the extended attributes, if they could fit in
that 64 K. This provided much better performance than interpreting the
script every time it was run. You could also do so much searching
within that metadata.

Yes, and the workspace folders were great, too (I think that was what they
were called); you could place a set of documents inside them, open up the
folder and the documents would all open in their respective apps in the state
in which you last left them. Close the folder and the current state was saved
and all associated apps were closed automatically. Brilliant! Windows 10 is
just adding something similar, but I really wish KDE/Plasma had something like
that!

Any openSuSE Devs like to try implementing something similar?

Rodney Baker VK5ZTV
rodney.baker@xxxxxxxxxxxx
CCNA #CSCO12880208