Re: [opensuse] Philosophical question?
On 06/16/2018 01:11 AM, Rodney Baker wrote:
The hardest thing for me, moving from OS/2 to Linux, was missing the
"Workplace Shell" desktop environment. That had some really cool features
that
no Linux distro has ever matched. I ran OS/2 from version 2.0 right through
the last days of Warp 4, before it became eComStation (which is still
available, btw, but not exactly cheap).

That WPS really was something and hasn't been duplicated elsewhere.
Real loss.  I started with OS/2 2.0, when it was first released, and
continued using it until after I left IBM in 2000.  I then gradually
moved to Linux.

One really great thing about the WPA was the extended attributes, which
could contain up to 64 KB of metadata about a file.  Also, REXX scripts
could run directly from the extended attributes, if they could fit in
that 64 K.  This provided much better performance than interpreting the
script every time it was run.  You could also do so much searching
within that metadata.