Re: [opensuse] Re: opensuse mailing list site ridiculousness
Hello,

Am Sonntag, 17. Juni 2018, 10:06:28 CEST schrieb Carlos E. R.:
On 2018-06-17 07:00, Steven Susbauer wrote:

I believe marking all http sites as insecure is soon to be the
default behavior in both Firefox and Chrome, https is king now that
it is easy for every site to obtain a certificate. Why encrypt a
public mailing list? Because perhaps the users of the list would
prefer their government or ISP doesn't see what messages they are
reading and interacting with, even if they do happen to know the
domain.
No, that's moot. The government and anybody can browse the entire mail
archive unimpeded.

The entire archive, yes. But knowing which specific mails you are
looking at might make a difference. For example, it might look
suspicious if you only read mails about disc encryption and setting up
GPG, because, you know, only terrorists use encryption ;-)

Needless to say that, using this definition, I'm a terrorist ;-)

I also remember a case when someone sent an encrypted mail to the
opensuse-de mailinglist. Maybe it was a mistake, maybe it was
intentional to send someone (a subscriber or someone later reading the
archive) an encrypted message without making the recipient clear. If it
was the latter, catching someone to read exactly that mail in the
archive wouldn't be nice ;-)

Another (already mentioned) point is ensuring integrity - using https
also makes sure that you get what the server delivers instead what a
MITM makes out of it. I probably don't need to tell you that changing a
recommended command to "rm -rf /" [1] would be a bit ;-) harmful, right?

Regards,

Christian Boltz

[1] it should be obvious, but in case it's not: do NOT run this command,
unless you want to destroy your system
--
No, much like a dickhead really.
From you, that can only be taken as a compliment. Thanks ;)