Re: [opensuse] Synaptics and RPM question
  • From: "Knurpht@openSUSE" <knurpht@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 16 Jun 2018 01:35:19 +0200
Op zaterdag 16 juni 2018 01:00:30 CEST schreef Felix Miata:
Anton Aylward composed on 2018-06-15 18:40 (UTC-0400):
There is also a link "Using APT on RPM-Based Systems"
It should lead to http://www.linux-mag.com/id/1476/
but it doesn't :-(
<quote>
Now, apt doesn’t actually install packages; instead, it calls rpm to do
the
grunt work.
</quote>

Written 13 years ago.

I suppose of Zypper were actually a script it would as well.
But zypper uses "libzypp.so" as you might expect but also "librpm.so".
So yes, under the hood, it uses the innards of RPM rather than the
CLI-level RPM as a script would.

Go check

# ldd $(which zypper)

yourself.

As I understand it Synaptics has a version written in Python.

# zypper info zypper-aptitude
zypper

I've never installed it. I'm not sure what exactly I'd need any .deb
packages on openSUSE for with the wealth of repos and package selections it
offers.

On Debian before Stretch, before the prompts inducing to use apt instead of
apt-get, I probably used aptitude as much as I did apt-*, commonly to clean
up packages held back, and far more often than I tried to use Synaptics.
This doesn't install deb packages but lets a user use apt-get commands to
install openSUSE packages.

--
Gertjan Lettink a.k.a. Knurpht
openSUSE Board Member