Re: [opensuse] Philosophical question?
On Sat, 16 Jun 2018, Liam Proven wrote:
On 15/06/18 05:37, Basil Chupin wrote:
Have you looked at Manjaro Linux (with KDE) (https://manjaro.org)?

TBH, not really. I did run Arch until recently, though. AIUI Manjaro is
Arch with an easier installer and preconfigured desktops, no?

I recently noticed that Manjaro had risen to the top of the distrowatch
leader board. I've now got Manjaro in a virtual box and have been
evaluating it as a more desktop-oriented rolling-replacement for Leap.

In respect to it's relationship with arch, Manjaro's wiki explains it
this way:

https://wiki.manjaro.org/index.php?title=Manjaro:_A_Different_Kind_of_Beast

"To ensure continued stability and reliability, Manjaro utilises its own
dedicated software repositories. With the exception of the
community-maintained Arch User Repository (AUR), Manjaro
systems do not –and cannot– access the official Arch repositories.
More specifically, popular software packages initially provided by
the official Arch repositories will first be thoroughly tested (and if
necessary, patched), prior to being released to Manjaro's own
Stable Repositories for public use.
"A consequence of accommodating this testing process is that
Manjaro will never be quite as bleeding-edge as Arch."
"Another feature that sets Manjaro apart from Arch and other
Arch-based distributions is its focus on user-friendliness and
accessibility. This extends far beyond just providing an easy
graphical installer and pre-configured desktop environments.
Manjaro also provides a range of powerful tools developed
exclusively by the Manjaro Team..."

OpenSUSE has served well enough for for the last decade. It's a
tough call to make a switch. I'll have to poke around in the corners
a bit more and see if it's worth while.

Cheers,
Michael