Re: [opensuse] opensuse mailing list site ridiculousness
  • From: Per Jessen <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2018 21:59:40 +0200
Istvan Gabor wrote:

Hello:

I tried to open openSUSE mailing lists in an older firefox, 24.8.1 ESR
at

http://lists.opensuse.org/

which redirects to

https://lists.opensuse.org/

and the browser can't open the page, instead give an error message:

"The connection was interrupted

The connection to lists.opensuse.org was interrupted while the page
was loading.

That is a problem of your browser/openSSL library, not
https://lists.opensuse.org/

Older TLS versions have long been deprecated and now disabled. Payment
providers around the world have been busy notifying customers that
their browsers are outdated and no longer supported.

First I don't really get why looking at a mailing list page requires
an https connection at all.

That is a Google preference thing. I agree with you, but Google gives
preference to encrypted sites.

I can imagine that some want secure connection to the mailing list
site but automatic redirection should not occur.

Hmm, you may have a point. Only redirecting for Google is a problem
though.

Third, many https site just work with this old firefox.

Sure, they're also using outdated TLS.

https://software.opensuse.org/ doesn't open either.

https://www.opensuse.org/ works.
This should be fixed.