Re: [opensuse] zypper/yast vs. other package managers (was: Philosophical question?)
* Liam Proven <lproven@xxxxxxx> [06-15-18 12:58]:
On 15/06/18 18:44, Carlos E. R. wrote:
On 2018-06-15 17:09, Liam Proven wrote:

But all my supplementary repos are set at priority 99. There's no real
logical priority between them; apparently that is a user issue. I.e., do
it yourself. IMHO that's bad.

Just choose the priority...

I look up the recommended solution and I do what it says there. I don't
know what priorities to choose or what's important; every guide, and
every one-click install, seems to set them all at the minimum one.

This may be a valuable field for a skilled sysadmin, but I am not a
skilled openSUSE sysadmin. As such, I expect the OS to make such
decisions for me, or to make it easier.

Then enable vendor change. The default is "no", and for good reasons. I
want "no". Yes, there is a command line option to enable it.

So if everyone says don't do it, why should I do it? I follow the advice
I find online, and in response, the packaging tool nags at me.

I think that is suboptimal. Is that wrong of me?

yes, since you do have control of the option. do you do everything
everyone tells you?

I do not like it that the packaging tool says "there are 42 other
updates available that I won't install". That worries me.

but YOU have configured it to do that. you are only worried about a
choice you already made.

However, my choices are to either do them individually -- bad -- or to
change a config file and make a permanent change or remember to revert
it manually -- also bad.

you either want control or you don't. but YOU have a choice.

I think a simpler option would be:

[1] Have an interactive option to do those updates too.
[2] Have a secondary option to remember the choice.

For comparison look at the difference between "recommends" and
"suggests" in Apt.

Ubuntu defaults to ``--install-recommends'' and has for years. But you
can also add ``--install-suggests'' too -- but it can add a large number
of additional packages.

If I tell my OS to update itself, I expect it to install all available
updates. I am not happy when it says there are more but it won't do them.

Remove the kernel. Just do it.
Borked system.

Sure, I've done that before. :-)

It's the Unix way. It does what you tell it to do.

I expect this of all Linuxes, TBH.

But on Ubuntu it was easy to fix. I booted from a CD with root=/dev/sda5
or whatever, and then once it booted, I did ``apt install
linux-kernel-generic" or whatever it's called. Job done. It ran
``update-grub'' for me and everything.

This stuff is still rather more work on openSUSE, which is why I'd
probably primarily recommend openSUSE as a _server_ distro.